BC Teaching & Learning Council, West Coast Teaching Excellence Awards
UBC selection process, June 2021
The British Columbia Teaching and Learning Council has created a new teaching award for BC and the Yukon, the West Coast Teaching Excellence Award, that could be a stepping stone from institutional teaching awards to national teaching awards such as the 3M National Teaching Fellowship.
Description of the West Coast Teaching Excellence Award from BCTLC website:
This award recognizes excellence in postsecondary teaching over a number of years, primarily at the undergraduate level.BCTLC website: https://bctlc.ca/west-coast-teaching-excellence-awards/
An individual nominated for this award will be characterized by a proven commitment to enhanced student engagement and learning, a reflective and intentional approach to teaching practices, and dedication to teaching improvement including successful implementation of any of the 94 Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada.
The BCTLC will select up to five recipients from different post-secondary institutions; each institution may forward up to two nominees. Applications are due to the BCTLC in early December.
Applications consist of a 20-page dossier, including a nomination letter from the President, Vice-President Academic or designate.
Please see the West Coast Teaching Award web page for details on eligibility, criteria, and what must be submitted in the dossier.
Internal selection of nominees at UBC Vancouver
- Internal applicants should submit a letter (no more than 4 pages) outlining how their teaching over a number of years addresses the criteria for the award.
- Applicants will not be able to address all criteria in full in such a short space, so they should focus on those that they feel their teaching work most strongly supports.
- An internal review committee will read these letters and choose up to two nominees from UBC Vancouver
- This review committee will consist of: The Associate Provost Teaching and Learning The Academic Director (or the Deputy Academic Director) of the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology One 3M National Teaching Fellow from UBC Two Killam faculty teaching award winners
- The decision will be based on the BCTLC West Coast Teaching Award eligibility and criteria
- The Associate Provost Teaching and Learning (Simon Bates) will write nomination letters, and the BCTLC representative from UBC Vancouver (currently the Academic Director of the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology) will forward nominations to the BCTLC Awards Committee by the early December deadline.
- August 31: internal application due (max. 4 page letter, as noted above); please send to Christina Hendricks, Academic Director, CTLT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- First half of September: internal review committee meets to select nominees
- Mid-September to mid-November: prepare application dossiers
- Mid-November: application dossiers due to Associate Provost Teaching and Learning Simon Bates, to facilitate writing nomination letters
- Early December: application dossiers due to BCTLC Awards Committee
- If you have questions about the award or the process, please contact Christina Hendricks, Academic Director, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology: email@example.com
- Consultation/advice on either writing the internal application materials or the dossier to send to BCTLC is available; please contact Judy Chan at the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology: firstname.lastname@example.org